Sunday, August 9, 2015

OPEN DOOR POLICY



The people here are very friendly.  Even if they don't want to hear what you say, they will invite you in.  People think when they see the white shirts to ignore the door, slam the door, or politely say no.  If people say no, we move on.  We accept their answer.  I love the people that say I'm not interested but still invite us in for water or another beverage and we have a great conversation.  These people are Christlike.  They don't judge, may not agree but are still kind.


We don't harass people.  We are just looking for people that are trying to better their lives.  We look for people that have prayed to God for help and hope that we find them.  But I love the people here and their kindness whether we teach them or not.

These boys wanted to take a picture with a Gringo!
My week consisted of an interview with the President, trying to find new people to teach, cleaning the house a bit, and trying to relearn how to contact people in the street.  My companions idea of helping is to wait until someone is almost right next to us and then say contact him/her!  It doesn't work...  So I am working on that again.

When we sit we sleep.
For pday (personal day) I went to San Nicolas with Elder Hernandez, my first companion in the mission.  I didn't really do anything there as I didn't know anyone, just talked a bit with the family we saw there.  Then we went to Solidaridad, my first area, and visited a few of the families there.  It was fun I found most of my converts. 

Did you have any weird experiences?  

Not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Where do you write your letters and does it cost anything?

We write our letters at a Cyber down the street. It costs 12 pesos an hour.  And yes Justin, that is expensive, but we are in Monterrey, the wealthiest city in Mexico, it's going to be expensive.  To stay cool, we drink a lot of water, hop from shade to shade when we can find it, and otherwise just bear with it and try and teach lessons inside someone's house.   I do not carry a water bottle with me, I can buy a liter of water for 3 pesos if I want.  

What is the weirdest thing that you have seen?

The weirdest thing I have seen is either the guy on top of the truck that I took a picture of or a centipede bigger than my hand.  (See previous blogs for pictures.)

Do they have any weird customs?

I could not even begin to name all of the weird customs that exist here.  They have a fiesta, holiday, every 2 weeks it seems.  They believe in so many versions of the virgin Mary.

Picture of street by my apartment.
I am doing fine, a little burnt but fine.  I plan on making waffles this week if Hma Castañeda agrees to lend me her waffle iron.  Every week I am happy, frustrated, tired, all of the above.  The mission is the single most hardest thing I have done in my life.  Really, it was easier staying up for 3 days working on school work then trying to change my very nature while trying to help others do the same.  

I have a calendar in my room that I occasionally mark off the days.  I forget for about 4-6 days and then remember it's there and cross them off.  I'm not likely going to start doing a day count until my last change or two. 

A***n´s family are baptized, just not his Dad.. A***n was an investigator when I arrived here almost 5 months ago.  We have been working with him the entire time, teaching him, explaining things, re-explaining things.  He was very cautious and curious but wanted to make the right choice.  But he listened and learned for a long time and he said yes and was baptized.  

Have a great week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment